Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Follow inmybeautybag on Twitter

Monday, January 24, 2011

Health Update: Regarding DVT

So, went in for my new 'weekly event': INR testing for my blood.
To get you up to speed on what this is, I have provided a definition on why I need to get these tests done weekly:
"The International Normalized Ratio, or (INR), is used to monitor the effectiveness of blood thinning drugs such as warfarin (Coumadin) which are the meds that I take daily. These drugs help inhibit the formation of blood clots. They are prescribed on a long-term basis to patients who have experienced recurrent inappropriate blood clotting. This includes those who have had heart attacks, strokes, and deep vein thrombosis (DVT, which is what I had). The anti-coagulant drugs must be carefully monitored to maintain a balance between preventing clots and causing excessive bleeding."

Okay, so anyway, last week when I had my first INR test which is a simple finger prick, my number was 3.1 For people who are on coumadin, they want your levels to be between 2 and 3, 'normal' people, the level should be like 1.5 or something. So, they lowered my dosage of meds after last week. This week, my INR reading was 7.4!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY WAY too thin!!!! My finger was actually squirting blood and bled for several minutes!! So, they lowered my dosage again. And I will have another test done next Monday.

We also found out that I will be on this medication for at least 6 months. During that time it is very important that I DO NOT get pregnant until after that 6 months. Man. That hurt today. But I just keep telling myself I need to get completely healthy and well before trying again. Plus, we figured we would start 'trying' between March and June anyway....so July isn't too far off. We also found out that I would be seeing a hematologist in March to see if the clot has been absorbed by my body yet and to get some more blood work ups done. Ew, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. I did, however, get the OK to start exercising some. So today I went for a walk :) It felt good. It was a short walk, about a mile, but still for not doing ANY form of exercise in a while it felt really good.

Side Note not health related: I finally stopped bleeding :) I know, I know, TMI, but I want to mark this down so I know how long to expect that crap to last after the next baby! Geez, a two week period is crappy! LOL. Also, we went and gave the memorial place a copy of Hayden's picture and his foot prints and paid the deposit for his headstone. It should take about 2 months for everything to be completely done :) I am excited, it is going to be beautiful.

Well, Thursday we see Dr. Dave. I am anxious to know if they found anything during the autopsy. I am also anxious to know if after all these issues I have had if he will be my doctor for the next pregnancy or if I will have to see a high-risk doctor only next time =/

I will update you all Thursday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment